Wednesday, October 20, 2010

10-20-2010

Well I forgot to wear my purple today...
but I saw these quotes on my friends' facebooks and thought I would share them...

"Everybody's journey is individual. If you fall in love with a boy, you fall in love with a boy. The fact that many Americans consider it a disease says more about them than it does about homosexuality." ~James Baldwin *Wear Purple Today* :)" -Jana Suggs Wirtel

"I'm as straight as they come but I will gladly stand up for the LGBT youth of America, scared to stand up for themselves. This gay bashing & bullying has got to stop. We have kids committing suicide because they are bullied & taunted for being "different." I've grown up & realized that there's so much more important shit goin on, then what society teaches us, as kids. Stop the hate. Love is louder." -Mel Atoa Siaki


Can we talk about boys... who want their cake and wanna eat it too... and then want nibbles out of other cakes... no, never mind I don't even want to go there....

This made me laugh... hope it makes you laugh too... :)


"At some point, we have to learn to let go of all control that we THINK we have." -Erica Denton

"Our Daily Ocean: A Story of Butts"

I just wanted to thank everyone that has been voting for my friend Danielle Richardet and her project .... "Our Daily Ocean: A Story of Butts" ... yay! She has 827 votes as of RIGHT NOW... 9:10 AM on Wednesday :) woohoo! You should check out her blog: "It Starts With Me" ... and the name of her blog, definitely deserves it's given name... because it HAS started with her! :) So proud of her!

If you have not voted... please do! You can do it everyday up until Oct 29th!

Yesterday, I had planned on going to the gym, doing P90X, etc but it was SUCH a beautiful day out that I decided to get some exercise outdoors... so I decided to go to, well... ONLY my favorite place in the entire world... yes, yes, yes, DA BEACH hehe... well I started at Stone Street (near Wings/Trolly Stop) and ran a little ways, until I found a Starbuck's coffee cup in my path just skirting around on the sand, feet from the water... and of course, I picked it up... had a few words (with myself, hehe) and then proceeded to run, with it in hand... well I continued seeing trash and it started to make me kinda angry... so I decided to turn my "beach run" into a mini "beach sweep"... and spent the next 3 hours picking up trash AND cigarette butts. I honestly should've put cigarette butts first, because that was definitely the majority of what was out there. I have to say, I never doubted Danielle's findings, or that there was a lot... and you probably don't either... but until you really go out there and LOOK for what has become so COMMON that we don't even notice anymore (so ridiculously sad) you probably won't understand... because I didn't realize JUST. HOW. SAD. it was/is. I spent the 3 hours seriously like talking to myself. Cussing to myself and then praying to myself... weird right? It's something so incredibly simple that could literally make the world of difference.

I picked up 541 cigarette butts, 6 plastic filters, tons of plastic straws, tops to bottles, bottles, glass beer bottles, numerous birthday balloons... I mean I was like in complete shock. I'm a nanny as I'm sure you know... and I brought most of the stuff I picked up with me to work, after Girls on the Run, I talked to Sonja (10) and Charlie (6) about Danielle's project again (they've been hearing me talk about it) and we sat outside and counted the cigarette butts. Sonja (10) couldn't believe how many I found, but I told her that it was NOTHING compared to what was still out there. If I compared it to the ocean, I told her it's like I only was one drop. Sonja was upset that I had gone without her, but I assured her that there will definitely be more times for her to participate.


I really think that I may start just picking up trash everyday, wherever it may be... of course, as many of you know, I was already "environmentally friendly" and what not... many of you call me a "Tree Hugger" or whatever, and that's okay... I don't take offense to it. It's honestly a compliment. Driving around yesterday afternoon with the kids to all of their activities, you should've seen me looking out the window at the side of the road, looking around and scoping out all the litter. arg. Danielle has made a Nazi out of me! hehe!

Random Interesting Facts/Info-ish
Did you know 12% of college students consider themselves vegetarian?
If vegetarian were a college major, it would be the largest!
I also heard on the radio that Psyche majors are the least
satisfied once they are placed in their jobs... grrrrrreat.

Cancer survivors who increase soy consumption are less likely to face disease again.

2 comments:

  1. You didn't share this with me... Gabb!! You are just too kind to me and I love knowing what I'm doing has given you inspiration to do something too... that's what it's all about... the power of one and the ripple effect that one person can create. :)

    <3 Danielle

    ReplyDelete